The feast of St. Patrick’s Day is nearly here and it is time to get your crochet on and whip up some lucky patterns for the occassion.
Every March 17, the United States becomes an emerald country for a day. Americans wear green clothes and quaff green beer. Green milkshakes, bagels and grits appear on menus. In a leprechaun-worthy shenanigan, Chicago even dyes its river green.https://www.history.com/news/st-patricks-day-origins-america
However you plan to celebrate, I can guarantee that one or many of the below St. Patrick’s Day crochet pattern finds will warm up your home and get you ready for the big day.
A few St. Patricks Day Facts According to History.com
- For several centuries, March 17 was a day of solemnity in Ireland with Catholics attending church in the morning and partaking of modest feasts in the afternoon.
- The party atmosphere (in America) only spread to Ireland after the arrival of television when the Irish could see all the fun being had across the ocean.
- For decades, Irish laws prohibited pubs from opening on holy days such as March 17. Until 1961, the only legal place to get a drink in the Irish capital on St. Patrick’s Day was the Royal Dublin Dog Show, which naturally attracted those with only a passing canine interest.
- The meal that became a St. Patrick’s Day staple across the country—corned beef and cabbage—was also an American innovation. While ham and cabbage was eaten in Ireland, corned beef proved a cheaper substitute for impoverished immigrants.
More Round Ups You Will Love
- Darling Animal Appliques: click HERE
- Sloth Patterns: click HERE
- Valentine’s Day Patterns: click HERE
- Wooden Crochet Tools: click HERE
More Crochet Fun
Follow Sweet Potato 3 on Facebook to see more pattern releases, sales and crochet fun, just click HERE.
However, if you would enjoy a more interactive group experience, you need to join my Crochet & Conversations facebook group, click HERE. It is a ton of fun and I encourage everyone to share their projects, WIPS (works in progress) and inspirations. Plus you get exclusive deals, are the first to see new releases, give input on designs and have opportunities to win patterns. Join now and get to know others who also enjoy the art of crochet.